Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Be Grateful For Everything

You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses.- Ziggy, character in a comic strip by Tom Wilson.


We are all spiritual beings having a human experience. Not many people realize this. Those of us who do often forget when life gets hard. However, the times I have remembered this truth has brought me great healing and growth.

Every challenge, difficult encounter, setback has transformed into a gift when I remembered there was a reason for it. In order to remember I had to be present. Like psychologist Jack Kornfield points out, just like the signs in Las Vegas say: "You must be present to win."

What has kept me present has been gratitude for both the good and the bad. For the good things it is easy to be grateful. However, it sometimes takes work for me to feel gratitude for the bad. What I learned is that when I am grateful for the bad I get the lesson and quickly move on. When I am not grateful and I am stuck in my anger or resentment, the situation persist. Sometimes it even gets worse.

Now that I am much older I am getting better at having appreciation for everything and everyone. Even difficult people and situations. Because of this, not only have I changed for the better, but relationships that had brought me a huge challenge have transformed in a way that in the past I did not think would be possible.



Gaelic Blessing

May the long time sun shine up on you
All the love surround you
And the pure light within you
Guide your way home

No comments:

Post a Comment