Sunday, July 15, 2012

Simple Prosperity

"When we have very little money, we fear for our very survival. Life is an intense struggle just to take care of our basic necessities. We have little opportunity to develop our talents and interests. We feel powerless and perhaps resentful when we see others with more opportunities and luxuries."
                                                         -Shakti Gawain


It is possible to experience prosperity on a low income, except when we are unable to meet our basic needs. I know this because I have experienced it myself. Once I let go of my ego needs and started listening more to my higher self, I began to enjoy simple pleasures. I also started to understand that much of the population pursues wealth for ego needs and dysfunctions in the psyche.

This is not to say you should not try to improve your financial situation if it means you will live more comfortably, be able to pursue and develop your talents, it will add much to your life and that of your loved ones. You should definitely improve your financial situation if you are not even able to meet your basic needs. But there are those who pursue wealth to compete with the Joneses, to prove their worth, to compensate for lacking in other areas (such as social skills or character), do to low self-esteem or childhood issues that drive the person to accumulate wealth when it is not really what their soul wants.

There are some people promising that you will achieve wealth if you would only buy their product or services. But what I have learned is that not everyone is meant to be ultra wealthy. Not because it is our lot in life or because God is punishing us. But because it is not what we are meant to do based on what our soul is here to learn in this lifetime. I remember the first time I heard this from a spiritual teacher I was upset. But as I started to listen to my intuition more, I realized that in my case it made sense. To someome like Donald Trump who thrives on making huge deals, raising buildings, taking big financial risks, my lifestyle would be very unsatisfactory. He is so passionate and loves what he does that he sleeps only a few hours  a day because he can't wait to jump out of bed to get to work.

Once I reviewed my core values, passions, and the important roles I played, I realized I did not need millions of dollars to be happy. Much of my workaholism was because I was so focused on earning money and gaining titles do to my low self-esteem issues not because I loved my job. In fact, I hated my job. I even had nightmares of someone taking the life out of me and that was exactly what my job was doing to me.

With Life Coaching, on the other hand, it could be Saturday or Sunday and I still will jump out of bed anxious to get started on my work. While working at my former job I had a hard time getting up at 7:30am to get to work. Now I often wake up at 4am feeling energetic, enthusiastic and excited about my day.

I have come to realize that no matter how much money I make, if I do not feel the joy that I feel now with my Life Coaching work, it is just not worth it. To me it is true that money is not everything. As long as my basic needs and those of my son are met, there is extra for our passions, interests and developing our talents, I am happy.

If you are tired of the rat race, competing with the Joneses, and would like some guidance on how to experience simple prosperity, please contact me on Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment