Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Ego

It has been written by many that the EGO is an acronym for Edging God Out. I have certainly found this to be true in my experience. I have realized that when I am focused on the wishes or thoughts of the ego I am the most unhappy. I have also noticed how it negatively effects me to be paying attention to the ego centered demands or false perceptions of others.

In the book I, by David R. Hawkins M.D., Ph.D, there is a thorough explanation about why the ego not only brings people much unhappiness, but also "Edges God Out". The following is a list of "some basic axiomatic positionalities of the ego" that Dr. Hawkins wrote in his book.


  1. Phenomena are either good or bad, right or wrong, just or unjust, fair or unfair.
  2. The 'bad' deserve to be punished and the 'good' rewarded.
  3. Things happen by accident or else they are the fault of somebody else.
  4. The mind is capable of comprehending and recognizing truth from falsehood.
  5. The world causes and deternines one's experiences.
  6. Life is unfair because the innocent suffer while the wicked go unpunished.
  7. People can be different than they are.
  8. It is critical and necessary to be right.
  9. It is critical and necessary to win.
  10. Wrongs must be righted.
  11. Righteousness must prevail.
  12. Perceptions represent reality.

"To address these types of issues, it is helpful to recall that one's only obligation is to the truth of the Self and Divinity. This process, therefore, demands letting go of all cherished positionalities because nothing one believes is true. Actually axioms are illusions that create suffering and result in much destruction. These 'axioms' are barriers to enlightment and create a multitude of dualities because they arise from linear perception rather than nondualitistic spiritual Reality."

The main ego axiom that has caused me much suffering is number 12, "Perceptions Represent Reality."  Mostly because  I use to have a negative perception about myself and erroneously believed others were more worthy than I was because of their external and superficial accomplishments. However, ever since I have been spending more time with my down to earth friends, I have realized how twisted my perceptions were. 

I have now also noticed how heavy the energy feels when I am around people who are stuck in ego illusions. It is becoming harder to pretend that they are right.  However, trying to convince others that they are wrong will only feed my own ego. So what I do is just minimize my time with those who are ego centered and instead spend more time with those who are more spiritually attuned. And when I am around those who are more ego based I continously remind myself that my "only obligation is to the truth of the Self and Divinity."

The ego is not entirely bad. In fact, when you have too little of an ego psychologists say you have low self-esteem. So I believe that my problem in the past was not having enough ego.

Dr. Hawkins explains, "An important element of meaning of the term 'ego' is the implication that its true basis is pride and narcissism, which bring in guilt about the implied selfishness of the ego. Ego is also a psychological term that generally has an implied survival value. In therapy, a patient may have the problem of a 'weak' ego and low self-esteem. In contrast, 'egotism' or 'egoistic' means overinflation or even grandiosity. In spiritual parlence, 'ego' implies a negative quality, an obstacle to realization because of its linear dualistic contruction. In psychology, however, the term denotes coping and survival skills to deal effectively with the world."

In essence, the ego is important for our survival on earth. However, too much ego keeps you from knowing the truth. But too little ego also keeps you from knowing the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment