Monday, October 15, 2012

To Be Truly Happy


"The mind may succeed in making you intelligent, but it is poorly equipped to make you happy, fulfilled, at peace with yourself."- Deepak Chopra, The Way of The Wizard


 At one point in my life I was severely depressed. But even when I was not depressed, I still had this sadness I couldn't shake off no matter what I achieved or obtained. It is part of the reason why I worked so hard in life and became a workaholic. I kept thinking that once I achieved my desired goal I would be happy. Sometimes this was the case, but usually it was not. And even when I was happy after accomplishing something it was only short lived.

Then one day, my life was turned upside down and I finally stopped long enough to figure out why I was not happy. Much of it had to do because I was holding on to anger I had on missing out on having a good childhood. I was not aware of it at first, but soon all was revealed. After the grieving period lifted I finally found true happiness.

I also, realized that nothing external could bring me long term happiness. Authentic happiness is brought out from within. I say this not because so many others have said it, but because my experience has shown me that this is the truth. I sometimes think that I was stripped away from everything material that I valued in order to learn this lesson. I was not listening any other way, that's for sure.

Another thing that I finally discovered was that I also did not need anyone to be happy. I may desire to have a romantic partner, but it is no longer required in order for me to be happy. I think back on all the years I wasted dating one dysfunctional person after another and hanging on no matter how bad they were for me. My perception at the time was that without a man I had no value. I have read that this is common among women. It is a belief that has been passed down from generation to generation for thousands of years. While things have changed immensely throughout the years, deep down women still believe this. This is why they tolerate so much abuse from men.

I am here to tell you that you have eternal value which is not determined by what you have or don't have. When you know this without any doubt, even when people tell you otherwise, you will be truly happy. It is one of the most beautiful things that you will ever experience in life. You will feel bliss no matter what is going on around you. Others may wonder why you are so happy when things don't look so good for you. You may try to explain, but they wont understand. Only those who are six sensory beings will know what you are joyful about.



No comments:

Post a Comment